Every week I bring you the latest Adwords News. This week’s stories are about Sitelinks, Phrase match and how to accurately measure your Adwords marketing. The hottest news of the press is that Google are doubling the real estate for sitelinks so make sure you read that story!
Google AdWords doubles the number of Sitelinks on search ads1
A few weeks ago, Google revamped the look and feel of the AdWords Sitelinks to make them a carousel tappable format. But with that change, Google has also doubled the number of sitelinks you can show on your AdWords search ads from four to eight.
This news is hot off the press! Barry Schwarz is sharing how Google are changing the format of Sitelinks on the Search Engine Land blog. Sitelinks are known to boost CTR so this is good news for Adwords advertisers. I haven’t seen the format of these new sitelinks but my guess is that it will take up more real estate on the search engine results page and therefore the organic search results are going to be pushed even further down the page – so bad news for SEO!
How to Make Your Google AdWords Ads More Impactful Without Spending More2
A Google AdWords ad extension is piece of additional content that expands your ads with additional information. There are many different types of extensions and they each offer different relevant information for potential customers to choose your business.
This entire article by Gil Roeder on the Hubspot blog is all about Ad extensions also known as sitelinks. Search Engine land have just announced that Google are increasing the real estate for sitelinks so this is a handy reminder of the various types of sitelinks and how to use them. Professional Adwords experts won’t find anything new here but considering the amount of small businesses that don’t use sitelinks effectively this is a great article to read if your self managing your Adwords campaigns.
Phrase match is dead. Long live phrase match! 3
So poor phrase match is getting pressure from both sides, and while it might be able to hold its own for the time being based on past glories, going forward, its days are still probably numbered. But then, we said that a couple of years ago!
Apparently, Steve Cameron has found some Adwords marketers that are using phrase match effectively and is sharing how on the Search Engine Land blog. I personally am a fan of broad match modified and exact match and never use phrase match. Adwords experts will certainly find this blog post interesting and it’s likely to spark a lot of debate!
Traffic Now, Traffic Later: Creating the Perfect Synergy Between SEO and PPC 4
Successful search engine marketing starts with a strategic balance of SEO and PPC to drive more website traffic. Base your organic SEO strategy on building eventual traffic with long tail keywords and great copy. And while you wait for the organic results to build, use PPC ads in the form of Dynamic Search Ads to drive traffic and attract backlinks in the short term.
This is an article written by Sagi Solomon on the SEMRush blog. This isn’t a new concept – i.e. it’s well known the SEO takes 3-6 months to generate results, whereas PPC can generate trafiic immediately. Sagi goes into detail about how to find long tail keywords, how to write content that ranks well and how to use dynamic search ads. If you use SEMRush then this article will give you some useful ideas! I’d say this article is aimed at beginners.
7 Biggest PPC Nightmares Sinking Your ROI 5
Nobody said PPC was easy. But there are certain things you can do to make it easier. And there are many cases where you make it harder on yourself then it needs to be. Look for conversions that lead to revenue. Track metrics and data that matter.
This excellent article by Brad Smith was published this week on the Kissmetrics blog. I’d say this article is aimed at intermediate to advanced Adwords agencies or freelancers. I also think the topics covered are most applicable to medium to large scale businesses and e-commerce. Brad goes into detail about attribution models, conversion tracking, KPI’s, A/B testing and creating the right message to the right audience.
This article was first published on https://www.perthmarketingcompany.com.au/
- Google AdWords doubles the number of Sitelinks on search ads, Google AdWords doubles the number of Sitelinks on search ads, http://searchengineland.com/google-adwords-doubles-number-sitelinks-search-ads-281397, Barry Schwartz, 2017-08-25
- How to Make Your Google AdWords Ads More Impactful Without Spending More, How to Make Your Google AdWords Ads More Impactful Without Spending More, https://blog.hubspot.com/marketing/google-adwords-ad-extensions, Gil Roeder
- Phrase match is dead. Long live phrase match!, Phrase match is dead. Long live phrase match!, http://searchengineland.com/phrase-match-dead-long-live-phrase-match-279489, Steve Cameron, 2017-08-25
- Traffic Now, Traffic Later: Creating the Perfect Synergy Between SEO And PPC, Traffic Now, Traffic Later: Creating the Perfect Synergy Between SEO and PPC, https://www.semrush.com/blog/traffic-now-traffic-later-creating-the-perfect-synergy-between-seo-and-ppc/, Sagi Solomon, 2017-08-22
- 7 Biggest PPC Nightmares Sinking Your ROI, Kissmetrics Blog, https://blog.kissmetrics.com/biggest-ppc-nightmares/, Brad Smith