Every week, I perform a free web design audit to help a small business in Perth.
Today I’m helping an electrician called Megalite Electrical & Communications.
What’s the Purpose of the Page?
Good web design is about achieving the purpose the page was designed for.
So let’s evaluate the call to actions on Megalite Electrical & Communications’s homepage:
- Three buttons that say Learn More
- Request a quote button at the very bottom of the page
1) Firstly there are no call to actions in the above the fold content. I would move the request a quote button to sit on top of the image that is above the fold. I would also add a headline in the above the above the fold content – something like Electrical Emergency? Call Us Now on 0400 475 478
2) I would add more descriptive text to the buttons under each service. For example Homeowners – Click Here, Businesses – Click Here – Real Estate Agents – Click Here.
Can the Copy writing & Visuals be Improved?
Are Megalite Electrical & Communications using appealing headlines?
These are the headlines they’re using on their homepage:
- Commercial & Industrial
- Real Estate & Strata
- Welcome to Megalite
- Services Built For You
3) Here’s how I would write their headlines:
- Affordable Electrical Services for Homeowners
- Prompt and Efficient Electrical Services for Businsses
- Reliable Electrical Services for Real Estate Agents
- Trust Megalite For Outstanding Workmanship & Great Customer Service
- Here’s What To Expect From Our Electrical Services
Social proof is a powerful selling aide. Let’s look at what social proof Megalite Electrical & Communications have on their site:
- There is a single testimonial towards the bottom of the page
4) Here’s the social proof I would add:
- More testimonials
- Reviews from Google My Business
- Pictures of the Team
- Reference to Their Qualifications, License Number etc
- Before and After Pictures
The visual elements on the page should support the company’s value proposition.
Megalite Electrical & Communications have an image of a hand catching lightening and an industrial building that is lit up at night.
A quick Google image search shows some of the images their competitors are using:
5) It appears that a lot of the images their competitors are using are pictures of the team and their vans. Although I do like the picture they have, I believe a picture of their team/ vans/ offices would give their potential clients a better feel for who they are.
Does the Design Work?
Lets have a look at the design elements on the page:
The first thing I’m going to look at is the above the fold content.
Do Megalite Electrical & Communications mention the primary purpose of their page in the above the fold content?
6) I have already mentioned that they do not have a call to action in their above the fold content. So I will reiterate my point here and note that I think they should have their quote button sitting on top of their images with a headline that asks the visitor to call them now.
Next I’m going to look at fonts and use of white space.
7) I think Megalite are using an appealing font and are using white space effectively. They don’t have anywhere on the page that is a big block of text. My only ask would be to make the fonts slightly bigger.
Finally I’m going to look at use of visuals, colour and prominence of calls to action.
8) Megalite’s logo is a dark blue and green colour. I would like to see this theme played out on their page. Their icons and buttons which are a light blue colour could be a combination of dark blue and green. I would also consider making their headlines green or dark blue.
Is the Layout and Navigation User Friendly?
It’s important that navigation is user friendly.
9) Megalite are using a standard navigation menu on the top right hand side of their site. Where they could improve is adding a menu structure to the footer of their site. Their menu looks good on mobile and there is an arrow to take the user to the top of the page so I believe this is all working well.
Are they Using Mobile Friendly Web Design?
I ran http://megalite.com.au/ through Google’s mobile friendly test: https://search.google.com/test/mobile-friendly
Below are the results:
Their site does look good on mobile and they pass Google’s mobile friendly test so nothing to add.
Does the Website Load Quickly?
I ran http://megalite.com.au/ through https://gtmetrix.com/
Below are the results:
10) These are quite poor results for page load speed and there is a lot Megalite can do to improve these and get their site loading in under 3 seconds.
I hope you’ve found this free web design audit insightful. Check out my Perth web design service at https://www.perthmarketingcompany.com.au/web-design/
If you’d like me to review your company/ industry please contact me.