Every week, I perform a free web design audit to help a small business in Perth. Today I’m helping a pest control company called Gremlin Pest Control.
What is the Landing Page Aiming To Achieve?
Good web design is about achieving the purpose the page was designed for.
So let’s evaluate the call to actions on Gremlin Pest Control’s homepage:
- Clickable mobile phone number – 0422 863 047
- Clickable email address – [email protected]
- Plus Symbols and Arrows
1) The clickable phone number and email are both above the fold and this is good practise. I think the above the fold content is missing a strong headline and call to action.
2) I think the plus symbols and arrows would be more effective if they were buttons that included a call to action such as, click here to see our pest control solutions for businesses.
How Effective is the Copy and Visuals?
Are Gremlin Pest Control using benefit laden headlines?
These are the headlines they’re using on their homepage:
- DOMESTIC – PEST CONTROL SERVICES
- COMMERCIAL- PEST CONTROL SERVICES
- PEST INSPECTION – GREMLIN KNOW PESTS
- ABSOLUTE PROTECTION FOR HOMES AND OFFICES
- WELCOME TO GREMLIN PEST & WEED CONTROL
- TRUST THE LOCAL EXPERTS WITH OVER 10 YEARS OF EXPERIENCE IN WESTERN AUSTRALIA
I think more benefits can be included within these headlines.
2) Here’s how I would write their headlines:
- Protect You Family From Nasty Pests In Your Home
- Make Your Office Safe & Compliant With Industry Standards
- Let Gremlin Detect Pests To Help You Prevent a Nasty Surprise
- Gremlin Have 10 Years Experience Combating Pests & Removing Weeds
- Gremlin Know Perth’s Pests Better Than Anyone Else
Social proof is a powerful selling aide. Gremlin Pest Control do have a testimonials page, however none of these testimonials have been included on their home page.
3) Here’s the social proof I would add to their homepage:
- Select testimonials that best show case their service
- Reviews from around the web
- Industry associations
- Pictures of their offices or work vehicles and team
- Logos of company’s they have done work for
The visual elements on the page should support the company’s value proposition.
Gremlin Pest Control have an image of a house. A quick Google image search shows some of the images their competitors are using. A lot of their competitors are using pictures of the team in front of their work vehicles.
4) Personally I think their image could better show off Gremlin’s value proposition.
How About The Design?
Lets have a look at the design elements on the page:
The first thing I’m going to look at is the above the fold content.
Do Gremlin Pest Control mention the primary purpose of their page in the above the fold content?
5) I don’t think Gremlin are achieving the primary purpose in their above the fold content. There is no headline or call to action that tells their visitors what they want them to do.
Next I’m going to look at fonts and use of white space. I think there use of white space is effective. Personally, i think their fonts are too small and I would make them bigger.
Finally I’m going to look at use of visuals, colour and prominence of calls to action.
6) I like their use of green on the page. I would use a red or orange for their call to actions as this will draw attention to them.
I hope you’ve found this free web design audit insightful. Check out #1 Freelancer For Web Design Perth: I’ll Do it for 50% Less
If you’d like me to review your company/ industry please contact me.