Every week, I perform a free web design audit to help a small business in Perth.
Today I’m helping a painting company called Eddy Master Painters.
What’s the Purpose of the Page?
Good web design is about achieving the purpose the page was designed for.
So let’s evaluate the call to actions on Eddy Master Painters homepage:
- Contact Us Now
- Learn More
- Domestic Services
- Commercial Services
- Click to view the gallery
1) The only call to action in the above list that is above the fold is Contact Us Now.
2) The call to actions are missing what they’re about. Contact Us Now could be Contact Us Now For A Free Painting Quote. Learn More could be Learn More About Eddy’s Master Painters etc
3) Also the phone number and email are in the site footer. At the very least, I would have their phone in the top right hand corner of the site.
Can the Copy Writing & Visuals be Improved?
Are Eddy Master Painters using appealing headlines?
These are the headlines they’re using on their homepage:
- Qualified Professional Tradesmen
- Your Are At The Right Place
- About Us
- Our Services
- Gallery Of Projects
4) Here’s how I would write their headlines:
- Master Qualified Painters | Every Job is Carefully Reviewed & Certified
- Looking for Professional Residential or Commercial Painting Services – You’re At The Right Place!
- Why Choose Eddy’s Master Painters
- Domestic or Commercial Painting Services
- Before & After Pictures Showing Our High Quality Workmanship
Social proof is a powerful selling aide. The only hint of social proof Eddy’s have on their homepage is a link to their gallery of projects.
5) Here’s the social proof I would add:
- Actual before and after photos of their best work
- Testimonials from satisfied customers
The visual elements on the page should support the company’s value proposition. Eddy Master Painters have a rotating slider with images of the work they have performed.
6) A quick Google image search shows some of the images their competitors are using. One that struck me is an image of a van that Allure painting services are using. Check it out on their homepage: http://www.allurepainting.com.au/
Does the Design Work?
Lets have a look at the design elements on the page:
The first thing I’m going to look at is the above the fold content.
Do Eddy Master Painters mention the primary purpose of their page in the above the fold content?
7) I think they do… however as I have previously commented I think their call to action and imagery can be improved.
Next I’m going to look at fonts and use of white space.
8) I think the font they are using is ok. However, I think they could use white space better – there are two large blocks of text that I think could be broken up.
Finally I’m going to look at use of visuals, colour and prominence of calls to action.
9) I like their use of the colour red which is striking. I think they could use another complementary colour on the page to enhance their design.
Is the Layout and Navigation User Friendly?
It’s important that navigation is user friendly. I think that Eddy Master Painters are doing a good job with their navigation.
Are they Using Mobile Friendly Web Design?
I ran http://www.eddymasterpainter.com.au/ through Google’s mobile friendly test: https://search.google.com/test/mobile-friendly
Below are the results:
10) Although they have passed Google’s mobile friendly test – looking at their page on a mobile device does show some improvements can be made.
Does the Website Load Quickly?
I ran http://www.eddymasterpainter.com.au/ through https://gtmetrix.com/
Below are the results:
11) Eddy Master Painters page load speeds are actually not too bad. I have seen much worse. However, I believe I could get their site into the 90’s for Google’s page insight and loading in under 3 seconds.
I hope you’ve found this free web design audit insightful. Check out my Perth Web Design Service..
If you’d like me to review your company/ industry please contact me.
This article was first seen on https://www.perthmarketingcompany.com.au/